Last Updated on December 28, 2018 by mountainswithmegan
My Trail reached out to me a couple months ago about reviewing their Women’s 850 Fill Hyperlight Hooded Down Jacket. This was the first time I had ever heard of My Trail, but after doing some research I found out that they are the reincarnation of the GoLite brand. GoLite was an old favorite amongst hikers, so heck yeah I wanted to test out gear from My Trail.
My down jacket arrived (size large, color pumpkin spice). I was immediately stoked about how lightweight it was, how well it fit, and how good looking the pumpkin spice color was. Having passed the out-of-the-box test, it was time to take my new jacket into the wilderness.
I’m currently working as a wilderness therapy guide in Southwest Utah, and I brought my jacket along for two 8-day shifts. Essentially, I tested the My Trail hooded down jacket for 16 days, in temperatures as low as the mid-20s Fahrenheit.
My Trail 850 Fill Hyperlight Hooded Down Jacket Review
- Warmth. Like I said, I wore this jacket in temperatures as low as the mid-20s F. I had a merino wool base layer underneath, and I was warm and happy in this jacket. It also felt breathable while I was being active, and I didn’t get sweaty underneath my layers.
- Weight. I get pretty nerdy about having a low pack weight, so I was happy with how light and compact this jacket is. It weighs just 9.5 ounces.
- Style. I spend more time in the outdoors than the indoors, and how my clothes look on me is a consideration. Who wants to drop a couple hundred dollars on a jacket that isn’t flattering? Not me. The shape of this jacket is nice, with extra room around the bust and the hips. It’s spacious enough to put a few layers underneath while maintaining a smooth silhouette. The pumpkin spice color is feminine, but not overwhelmingly so (They have a midnight blue shade available that is feminine as well. The black and smoke shades are more neutral).
- Features. This jacket has all the necessary features, and nothing extra. The outside pockets are perfect for warming up my hands or storing all my tiny items. There’s also a large inside pocket for bigger stuff. The elastic hood is ideal because it’s not too tight, but it stays on when the wind is blowing.
- Ethical Down. I love that My Trail has chosen to use ethically sourced and responsible down standards for all of their jackets. It’s important for me to support companies that are morally responsible. (Learn more at ResponsibleDown.Org)
My Only Critique
There’s a tiny, inside pocket that is located on the lower part of the jacket. That pocket would be more conveniently placed up by the chest so I wouldn’t have to unzip the jacket all the way to get to it.
This jacket is warm, lightweight, and flattering. As a first timer when it comes to My Trail products, I’m thoroughly impressed and am stoked to use more of their gear in the future.